First and foremost - I have decided that since it is a pain to post pictures to this blog, and I plan on taking lots of pictures during my stay here in China - please visit my photobucket album to see the pictures that I upload. This can be found here: http://s816.photobucket.com/albums/zz82/carlhollan/

Today was Sunday. Fast Sunday. My favorite type.

Woke up in the morning, showered, shaved, and walked to church. Luckily it is only about 5 minutes from our apartment. The people in the hotel whose basement lobby we rent out for church were all very nice. There were a lot of people here too. There are about 10 members (all ex-pat) who live here, the study abroad group I'm here with, a few flagship programs who are here, and about 15 English teachers (who will only be here for a semester). So it was quite busy.

I was volunteered to be a translator for district conference next week in ShangHai, that should be fun.

Church was... different today though. We started out with a one hour 'Orientation Meeting' (I'm not kidding, that's what they called it), where they explained what it means to be a member living in China, and what you can and can't do. For some reason it took an hour to explain "Don't talk to anyone who is a Chinese citizen about the church, don't pray in front of them, and don't tell them that we meet as a church or invite them here. Don't tell them anything beyond that you are Christian and that you can't say anything else." It's a hard concept to understand, I know, but we got it after an hour.

Then there was a 30-45 minute orientation, during which I played with Dr. Honey's (the BYU professor here with us) two sons. After intermission we had a normal Sacrament Meeting.

Headed home, got the wireless router set up so that we had internet in our apartment, and spent most of the rest of the day online. It's pretty boring, but I've gotten pretty tired from walking around so much the past few days, and it was really hot outside, so I didn't really feel like going out. Also it was Sunday so I couldn't really go out and buy anything that I might feel like I need.

I messed up my blog layout when I tried to get a music player on the side that I actually liked and I could update. Hopefully that will get fixed soon.

Went to dinner at the same place that I had fried rice the second night that I was here. This time I had some noodles with a bean-curd and meat sauce. It was even more delicious because it was Fast Sunday.

I think that now I'll read some Harry Potter (I bought the books in Chinese) and then get to bed. Tomorrow is the first day of class. I want to be all rested so that I can get the most out of my time in class.

Comments (0)