So, I've made it. I'm in Nanjing now. I don't have a place to live, but I have a hotel that is only costing me $15 US a day (and that includes the all you can eat breakfast). I'll find somewhere later.

Getting here was less fun than expected.

I flew from SLC to SFO (2 1/2 hours) and had an 8 hour layover in SFO (10 1/2 hours) and flew to Hong Kong (23 1/2 hours) and had a 6 hour layover there (29 1/2 hour). Then I flew here, to Nanjing. Total time: 32 1/2 hours. Without sleep. And the only things I ate was airplane food, that and a $10 US roast beef sandwich (which surprisingly, wasn't worth it). Also I didn't sleep.

I was real happy when I got in here. I got a taxi with a real nice man (Yen KeWen) and he took me to the hotel.

Then I played the same game I played on my mission.

These are the rules:
(1)Set some goals for things you need to buy
(2)Go outside and find them
(3)Find home (because I'm lost)

Because it was the first time playing it in Nanjing I decided to keep things simple. My goal was to find food and water.

I found food, some beef noodle soup. I walked inside (it was quite a small establishment, only room for me and two others to sit inside) and ordered dinner. The lady inside told me it was 30 RMB ($4 US). I told her that was bull, that I could read Chinese and that it said it was 6.5 RMB ($0.90 US). She gave me my noodles for 6.5 RMB. I win.

I then found a grocery store and bought 6 liters of water and 4 liters of sports drink for 14 RMB ($2 US).

Dinner and beverages (for the next few days) for under $3 US. I win.

Today was much better. A few of the people from my study abroad group made it in, and a few of them seem pretty cool. We got the internet working, and found ways around the Great Firewall of China so that we could access Facebook. We went to the mall and I got a map. Now when people look at me they will not only know that I don't belong there, but they'll know I'm lost as well.

Tomorrow I'm going to find a place to live. Hope all goes well.

Comments (0)